Sunday 3 May 2015

Awkward Selfies: Duckfaces and Silly Faces.


awkward selfie, sunflare
A few weeks ago at the end of winter I dragged the boys over to Exmoor and up the hill to Dunkery Beacon. Since I had the concussion (I keep mentioning it, I apologise, no more I promise) I felt horrible and not able to drive and as I was supposed to be going on retreat at the end of the week I thought I would get out and test the driving ability and get some much needed fresh air as I had basically been at work or in bed. Boring, to say the least.
Dunkery Beacon, Exmoor
So we drove over to Exmoor and it was fine apart from Louis falling asleep about 5 mins from our destination.
I did take the wrong path up to the Beacon which meant a lot longer route but as soon as I realised I was secretly pleased as I knew they would moan for a while anyway. I hope it is just because they are boys but maybe it is just mine! They struggle at the beginning of going anywhere and I have to smile serenely through the nonsense until they relax and start to enjoy themselves or I crack and scream at them like a harpy (seems unlikely I know...)
Dunkery Beacon, Exmoor
For Ali relaxing meant once he had finished the climb to the top; as soon as we were on the peak and going along the flat he cheered up. 
Louis was a dear as usual (I treasure that about you Louis) and as he is taking photography GCSE (where was that when I was younger, oh the career I could have enjoyed ☺️) I handed over the camera and he had a play, I was thrilled at his progress, he has really paid attention to his composition, lead in lines etc. taking detail as well as bigger picture stuff. I am so proud to see him excelling at it.
Dunkery Beacon, Exmoor
The time with them up at the top was precious to me, just listening to them and for them to have me listen, (I rush in and out a lot on them) I heard lots of random trivia and facts, Louis knew about some of the geography and Ali had obviously been in his animal book again. I wonder at how they change so quickly, how their interactions change as their age gap sometimes feels wider and sometimes narrower.


I scrapped the photos at our recent retreat for a variety of challenges set at UKS.
Scrapbook Layout 12x12 Websters Pages

Scrapbooking Layout 12x12 Websters Pages

Scrapbooking, Layout, 12x12, Websters Pages
And the layouts all sit in the album with a 6x12 journaling page and some pocket pages telling some of the story.
Scrapbooking Layout 12x12 Websters Pages

I used tons of my Webster's Nest kit, sadly now coming to an end as I have used it on quite a few more layouts...I am tempted to replenish it! 


13 comments:

  1. What gorgeous pages!! Wonderful Photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layouts, really capture a sense of fun and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super blog post as usual Jen and you made me chortle about the screaming like a harpy, no I cant imagine you doing that and the story, photos and layouts are all lovely here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, I don't as a rule it's true, but it has been known :-)

      Delete
  4. Another superb post, Jen - interesting with lots of bits about your family. I love that Louis is taking an interest in photography. Lovely pages too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you don't mind me commenting, and no it isn't just your bits. Mine are 15 and I we have given up on taking them for walks etc due to the amount of fuss and whining. Yet I know that once they are over their moans they really enjoy it. I reach the harpy stage before they stop so it is usually hubby, daughter and I that go. Funnily Alton Towers doesn't elicit the same reaction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you commented Louise and especially to tell me it's not just me :-) I remember making a fuss to my parents too, but the walks with them are some of my fondest and vividest memories, that's why I put them through it lol.
      Thanks again for taking the time.

      Delete
    2. sorry - my comment should say 'kids' not bits - ipad auto correct in action!

      Delete
  6. Ah, those are the pictures we'll want to look back on, eh?

    I love the texture of the flowers with that gorgeous little string of bunting too. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! love your selfies page!!! The "Moaning" on a walk is pretty normal here too ..... part of being a teen I guess!! Thanks for visiting my blog today xx

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you lovely, you have made me smile =)